Clinical research drives innovation and we believe it is integral to healthy sustainable communities. Not only does research lead to better treatments and ultimately cures, but it enhances treatment in the here-and-now for patients who participate, creating jobs and resources in the community.
But clinical research faces many challenges, including the need for greater diversity and more clinics involved who serve diverse patient populations. SHC encourages diversity in clinical research through the provision of data to support targeted recruitment of diverse populations, promoting research participation and promoting health at the community level. For support in promoting equity in research participation contact us at contactSHC@shcllc.info.
Below are some resources to learn about clinical research and how you can participate.
ClinicalTrials.gov: is a website that lists all clinical trials and provides some useful background materials.
- For some basic information about clinical studies: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/about-studies/learn#WhatIs
- To look up a specific study: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/home
Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) (https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/): teaches patients and health care providers about clinical research rules meant to protect patients.
- Review basic information about participating in a research project: hhs.gov/About-Research-Participation
- Review research rules: https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/index.html
NIH Clinical Research Trials and You: https://www.nih.gov/health-information/nih-clinical-research-trials-you provides information for patients, health care providers, and researchers on clinical studies, especially those funded by the government. For example:
- Posters for doctors’ offices to help patients understand the importance of research, including in Spanish: https://www.nih.gov/health-information/nih-clinical-research-trials-you/promotional-materials
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA): which reviews drug safety and approves new treatments, provides information on:
- What clinical research is (https://www.fda.gov/ForPatients/ClinicalTrials/ucm20041753.htm
- The importance of patients from every race and ethnicity being included in research studies: https://www.fda.gov/ForPatients/ClinicalTrials/ucm407817.htm
Society for Clinical Research Sites: Is an organization that helps clinicians be successful in clinical trials with a lot of learning resources. http://myscrs.org/
Strategies for Ensuring Diversity, Inclusion, and Meaningful Participation in Clinical Trials National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, 2016: http://www.nap.edu/23530